I love easy recipes.
I really love easy recipes that are quick.
I really really love easy, quick recipes that also taste great.
I've used several, more fussy, vanilla cupcake recipes and while they're great sometimes you need quick and fabulous instead of fussy and fabulous. This recipe is just that. It's quick, easy, and the cupcakes are dense, moist, and delicious.
Vanilla Cupcakes: adapted from The Cupcake Deck by Elinor Klivans
- 1 1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce *
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. non-fat plain yogurt **
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 muffin tin cups with paper liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg, egg yolk, and sugar until thickened and lightened, about 3 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing. On low speed, mix in the applesauce and vanilla. Stir in the yogurt until no white streaks remain. Mix in the flour mixture until the batter is smooth. Do not over mix.
- Fill each liner with a scant 1/4 c. batter, to about 1/2 inch below the top of the liner. Bake just until the top feels firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 23 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove the cupcakes from the pan onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
* The original recipe calls for 1/2 c. oil. I find that applesauce works great and it saves a lot of fat and calories.
** The original recipe calls for 1/2 c. sour cream. I didn't have any so I used yogurt. Using the fat free or light version of either plain yogurt or sour cream is another great way to save fat and calories.
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. milk
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter until creamy.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, add the powdered sugar, and vanilla together with 3 tbsp. milk and mix to combine, adding the additional tbsp. of milk if needed.
- Increase speed to medium and beat to form a creamy, spreadable frosting.
Frost cupcakes as desired using a spatula or piping bag. Sprinkle the frosting with colored sugar, nonpareils, sprinkles, candies, or whatever tickles your fancy.